Saturday, December 25, 2010

Servin in 'da town

When I first received my Christmas assignment, I replied to Tiff's email with, "Oh great, thanks for giving me the hardest one!" But within minutes I bit my tongue and realized my person actually might be the easiest person to serve because they are so laid back but at the same time really does care about so many things. Now looking back, I am SO grateful I got assigned who I did!

I learned a LOT about my person through doing my service (maybe more than he would like:) As I started to brainstorm of what I could do and what my person cares about the list kept on going. First thought... I could... ummm.... well... clean up a skate park! Noooo... that might not be the best place for a 6 month pregnant white girl to spend a few hours. How about Kids Country or something with kids? Maybe I could volunteer in his old class... nooo they have all grown up and graduated from kids country. I got it! 'Da TOWN! He loves the ghetto and is always talking about how he wants to serve there. You guessed it!... my person is Kevy!

I researched different service opportunities in Da Town (Oakland) and found some great options. I settled on a homeless transition community helping homeless families get off the streets while they saved money to get out on their own. It wasn't a shelter, but instead a community of homes and families. I called to find out what service they were in need of this season. Their response was simple enough, volunteers to serve at their community and employee Christmas Party. I was excited about the service project... But something still didn't feel complete. It needed a little more "Kevy" to it... so I recruited my secret weapon!
That's right... the rough and tough (but really a big teddy bear but he doesn't like it when people say that because it "ruins his rep"), best body guard in Oakland for this pregnant woman, Kevin lovin' guy... James.

It was obvious that the thing missing was the thing that Kevin actually cares most about- his family and friends. I have heard so many James and Jesse stories and know that Kev misses them a LOT! I was determined to get one of them to come with me for this project. This was around the time that Kev said he would want someone to sign up to be a big brother/sister. Well, since they require a minimum of one year commitment, I decided I would see if I could kind of implement my own program with starting to hang out with James every once in a while.

I reached out to James on Facebook. His first response, "I'm all for it!" without even knowing what it was! Whatever it was, as long as it was in honor of Kev, he was in! He was in Sacramento but told me he would be back in time for our service in Oakland.

We had a little mis-communication through the next week in planning. :) James' car broke down and so I decided I would change my service and not do the Christmas party, but instead go get James in Sacramento and drive him back when he needed. That would allow me to get to know him a bit better. So I told James I had canceled the homeless party thing and coordinated with him when he needed a ride.

Off I went to go pick up James in Sacramento. When I got there and said, "so when do you need to come back?" His response, "Ummm, tomorrow morning but I'll find a ride." I said, "well, why do you have to go to San Ramon? What's going on tonight?" James looked concerned and said, "Isn't our thing tonight?" DOH! I thought! "James, you do NOT need to come all the way to San Ramon just for this Christmas Party thing that could be a bust! Let's forget about it and I will just take you to lunch here in Sacramento and we will call it good." He paused for a second and then shook his head, "No...no... Kev would not want us to ditch our duties". I smiled and knew he was right.

The next hour was truly enjoyable. My cheeks hurt by the time we arrived in San Ramon. I learned all about James and his lovable spirit, heard awesome Kevy stories, and laughed harder and longer than I had in weeks learning of some of the antics of Kevin and my new buddy James! There have been many times in the last week that I wanted to add something to a conversation of something that James said but I had to hold my tongue.

I picked James back up and we headed into Oak-town. We went towards the chaos and saw the nice set up and enjoyed some...we'll call it... Vibrant gospel music. James and I headed to the kitchen and got to work. James strapped on some serving gloves and got crackin'. Noticing he was the strongest of the volunteers (and the only non-white female:) he was quickly enlisted into ice cream scooping duty. I kept busy doing this and that to keep the kitchen going and cleaned up.

I think the hardest thing of the entire project was trying to get a good picture of James! Man, that kid can be STUB-born!
I had a blast! James, thanks for helping me out! We almost had Jesse with us too but he got stuck helping his Grandpa with something. The service project was really fun and they were extremely grateful. A couple of them couldn't understand why exactly we were there because I guess most people due it for school credit or something.

Sidenote: funny story. On our way there James told me how his Aunt gave him a hard time about the beard and said, "you are going to the right place, you look like a homeless person!" Then we got there, the first organizer said to James, "We've met haven't we, you look REALLY familiar!" We laughed about it when we got back to the car how he really did look like a homeless guy I guess!

Kevin, I am so grateful to have you as a brother-in-law. I love your laid back spirit but your sincere desire to do good. It is the same things I automatically fell in love with in James. I can see why you two are so close. We hope we did you proud in our serving in the ghetto in your behalf. I know you might not feel like you are doing as much in the sticks as you could be in the streets, but I promise you you are. Heavenly Father knows you and where He needs you. As for now, just leave the streets up to James and me!

As for James, he's a good kid. He's doing well and I look forward to our future monthly cookouts. He has promised if I buy the food, he will cook and I will DEFINITELY be taking advantage of that when he comes back to SR in January for school. I'll keep an eye on him for you... promise!
I hope you know how much your family loves you. I love seeing the way they all talk about you. I've always loved you Kev, but this gave me a chance to grow closer to you without you even knowing it. I found out that we are more alike than I even knew. I think James would agree. :) Thanks for accepting me in as your adopted big sister and making me feel welcome. I knew when I was dating Michael how much he loved you and worried about stepping in without your approval or such. You always made me feel welcome and I am grateful to you for that. I love you little brother and I look forward to getting even closer in the years to come.

Merry Christmas! Love, Lan-Dawg

No comments:

Post a Comment